Overweight is one of the epidemics of the 21st century. At the same time the social pressure to have a slender figure is very strong and creates guilt in many people.
The paradox is that some of them, mainly women, without thinking more than reasonable (and sometimes even less) also feel that they should eat less or eliminate what is eaten through vomiting by inducing it voluntarily.
The suppression of appetite is known as anorexia and the return of the stomach after eating is called bulimia. Both situations are psychological and are eating disorders.
Frequent vomiting that people who suffer from bulimia or anorexia nervosa try to eliminate what they think they have eaten in excess causes dental disorders that require permanent professional care. The acid contained in the stomach is very strong and softens the enamel of the teeth, causing erosion.
The precautions to defend your teeth are the following:
- Rinse your mouth, just after vomiting, with baking soda (a teaspoon in half a glass of water).
- A short while later, brush your teeth, as often as necessary, with a toothpaste that contains fluoride.
- After brushing, use a rinse containing fluoride.
- Use dental floss every day.
- Consider the restoration of the teeth with resins or crowns.
- Acid with your dentist at least every 6 months.
- The involvement of the teeth is a secondary problem that will not be solved at all if the problem of bulimia is not addressed in the first place.
It is very convenient that close relatives of the affected person be of great support to be able to get ahead of this serious problem that afflicts more and more.