Calcium is vital for the health of your teeth

It is always recommended to consume foods that contain it and its importance is indicated for the strengthening of bones. But do you know how important calcium is to your teeth? 99% of the calcium that exists in our body is found in bones and teeth. The remaining 1% is in the blood, in the extracellular and adipose tissue. But its benefits to the teeth go further.

The dentist explains that the first thing to consider having healthy teeth and gums is that the bones that support them – mandibular and maxillary – are also healthy. When fully enriched with calcium, the maxillary and mandibular bones remain strong and stable, which not only allows us to have healthy teeth, but also to prevent periodontal disease.

It indicates that the main function of calcium in the teeth has to do with nutrition. As an essential part of the teeth, calcium is the basis of adequate chewing, which is very important for the proper digestion of nutrients, because it provides stiffness to the teeth and gums?

The deficiency of calcium in the teeth is known in dentistry as dental decalcification, although it affirms that the correct term would be demineralization, because when losing calcium also other minerals such as phosphorus are lost. Dental decalcification usually manifests itself in the first years of teething.

What is the problem?

Deficiency of vitamin D and, consequently, of calcium, can lead to different diseases such as late eruption of the teeth, increased sensitivity, tooth decay, tooth fragility and generalized periodontal disease.

Given this, avoid self-medication, consult the doctor to indicate calcium you need.

The amount of calcium in our body depends directly on the amount we ingest. It is important to include the foods that contribute this mineral to our diet, such as dairy products (milk, yogurt, ice cream, cheese …), white bread, cookies, green leafy vegetables and fruits.

 

admin